Monday, February 9, 2009

The Here and Now

Well, we have skipped around the years backwards from now a bit. Each page a snapshot of the day. Like Kurt Vonneguts Slaughterhouse Five, I have drawn a picture of some important, and some not so important days that happened up to now. If I were any good at this, I would be able to post snaps of tomorrow, and maybe next year when some event happens, and still be able to jump back to the here and now. It all happens within the framework of my lifetime, and somehow that appeals to me.

Take the beginning of time. In the beginning God separated the night from the day, and made seasons that we could use for reference in the passing of years. He didn't need time. He plainly lives outside of it. He made it for our convenience. He, on the other hand, can step into it, and out of it at his discretion. This is how he can be everywhere, for everyone, all the time. He is simply much larger than we can conceive.

Now we move about in the time allotted to us in a normally one way track that starts in our beginning, and ends at our end. I think, since the Bible says he knew us before we were born, that we are placed into time at exactly the right moment to serve his will. And, taken out at the other end in much the same way. Everyone has a day appointed for each. The Chinese worship their ancestors, and feel that they can change the present by praying to relatives who have passed on, or stepped out of time. I think, when we step out of time at the far end, we will not only be able to see our grandparents who have gone on before. I think we will see our great great grandchildren who have not been born yet. We are the only ones in the present, not them. When we step on out, they will be there possibly waiting and watching how we did while we had the opportunity to impact time. I can only hope I did well enough for them to be interested. I want to make that impact, and hope I do. Some days I am just not up to the challenge. I do not want to be that guy who just takes his time wasting time, and making time for something that is not yet here. This present moment, that rushes the air before and after me, is just too precious.

The deal is, this whole blog is about what I think about life, what I think about travel, and what I think about time. I am not at this point even able to ask the right questions I think.
Steve Forrester 2 09 09

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name with your comment. Thanks!